These are the first 4 Fireforge Foot Sergeants I completed to test out the color scheme I had in mind for them. I deliberately chose muted colors to really differentiate them from the brightly colored elves. The skin color I tried is new to me and I really liked the results. I used cork brown, washed with brown ink, when back over them with cork brown, washed with tanned flesh, and finally added more highlights of just cork brown. I am pleased with the results. My plan is to add Templars eventually, and they will have a variety of shield designs.
These are 1/72 Late Romans from Tumbling Dice Miniatures that I painted as Ioviani seniores for a commission. I have 12 other miniatures I am working on as Herculiani seniores. I think the bearer carrying the Eagle is my favorite out of this unit of figures.
I just received a box Foot Sergeants from Fireforge Games in the post today. I put together 24 of them to represent the household guard of a rich family. They're armed with spears, swords, and crossbows. The other half will represent a less wealthy family and will be armed with spears, axes and maces, and bows or I will use them all in zombie conversions....I haven't decided yet. I have previously assembled a box of Fireforge Templars on foot and these Foot Sergeants are a much better kit. The weapons are better size and the arms do not go out at crazy angles.
I completed these 10 French paratroopers from Redstar Miniatures for a commission. The picture is extremely washed out, I think the dark uniforms against the fair skin did it in. I painted the uniforms with Reaper Miniatures Military Green and Vallejo Beige Brown and then washed the uniform with Army Painters' Dark wash.
I completed the five remaining Sword Masters from IoB box from Games Workshop. The white is a build up from pale green to the pure white, while the green/blue is Jade Green from Coat d' Arms paints. I added black to the Jade Green for the shadows and white for the highlights.
Here's a group shot of all ten of the Sword Masters:
Here's an "army" shot of the Sword Masters along side the ten Sea Guard I previously painted:
Some more Tumbling Dice Late Romans I recently finished for a commission. I painted the tunics on the archers using Reaper Miniatures' Bone Triad paints. I've been using these paints for the tunics for a while and I'm extremely happy with the results.
I completed this Reaper Ogre miniature the other day. He'll go into my growing ogre warband that will fight for the highest bidder on the table top. I roughly plan to have 4 or 5 ogres for the warband depending on how many I find that I really like. Reaper has some excellent ogres and there are some old Citadel figures I'd like to add if I can find them without spending an arm and a leg to purchase them.
Here's a group shot of the two ogres so far, both from Reaper.
Finally, here are five High Elf Sword Masters from Games Workshop. They're excellent miniatures and finely detailed.
I completed the final 8 Dark Elf warriors, bringing the total to 16.
Here's the group shot of the 16 total. I have completed 6 with the Repeater Crossbows, one with a sword, a standard bearer, and 8 with spears. I need to pick up another box to add more with swords and 2 more with the Repeater Crossbows.
Finally, a shot of the Eternal Enemies in action:
Both armies are going to quickly outgrow my little lighting set up on my painting table!
Painting has slowed considerably lately now that school has started back and I'm getting back to the grindstone of grading papers and such. I've finished the commander that came with the Sea Guard from the Isle of Blood.
Here's a group shot of the Sea Guard:
I bought these Dark Elves for my son with the intention of getting a live-in gaming partner for Warhammer and I painted these up and rebased them for LotR.
The final pictures are of some HE commanders (mounted and on foot) that I found when I was searching for an extra shield
His shield is blank because I haven't figured out how I want to paint it. I was going to free-hand the Sea Guard design, but it looked terrible. So, for now, I'm going to leave it white until I figure it out.
The horse's original tail had snapped off over the years (I've had this model since I painted a HE army for 5th and 6th edition). I replaced it with the top knot from a Chaos Space Marine and it is the final part I need to paint - besides the shield.
Finally is the dismounted commander, I have no recollection of ever purchasing this miniature and not sure who started the paint job. His sword arm and shield arm were both missing. I replaced the shield arm with a plastic spearman arm and attached a blank shield.
The sword is from the Tyrion model. I was missing so many parts to Tyrion that he was relegated to the bones pile and gave up his sword. It's a massive sword, thankfully it's magical, otherwise it might be too large to actually swing with any speed or force.
Happy New Year! I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday season. My first post of the New Year is a set of 20mm Late Roman cataphracts from Tumbling Dice. These are commission pieces and the client does his own basing and weapons. After I complete some work on my High Elves, I will work on some Tumbling Dice infantry.